Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Hello. Recently, my girlfriends daughters school called my

Customer Question

Hello. Recently, my girlfriend's daughter's school called my girlfriend demanding information about her residence and her daughter's immunizations. We had given the school this information months ago to enroll the daughter in the school after they moved. However, the school demanded mail to the new address (again), her immunization forms (again), the lease (again) and now a Maryland Id card with the kew address on it. They called on Wednesday and demanded all of this by Friday or they threatened to kick the daughter out of school and call Child Services because a child that young (The daughter is 6) isn't permitted to not be enrolled in school. I was wondering if the school was allowed to make such threats by law? Thank you.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Roger :

Hi - my name is Roger and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Roger :

The school has the right to demand the immunization forms, and it can refuse to allow the child to attend school without them due to the potential health hazard this could cause.

Roger :

Also, the school district must have proof that the child resides within the school district in order to be allowed to attend as well.

Roger :

Thus, the school does have a right to demand these things, and it can prohibit the child from attending if this information isn't presented as requested.