Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In a Promissory Note and a Business Loan Agreement, if these

In a Promissory Note and a Business Loan Agreement, if these were signed in California but both documents state "This note will be governed by federal law applicable to Lender and to the extent not preempted by federal law, the laws of the State of Minnesota without regard to its conflicts of law provisions. This Note has been accepted by Lender in the State of Minnesota."

Can a person get a complaint thrown out of a California Court because of the above?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

Likely not. Notice that the verbiage specifically states that merely the laws of MN apply. It does not state that the only jurisdiction for this matter is MN.

1) It is not unusual for a contract to state which laws shall govern the contract, be it UCC, federal law, etc. However, stating this does not necessarily have the contract immediately be transferred to that jurisdiction of said laws. Merely, the Court in which the suit has been filed will often agree to adapt the laws of what the contract states to govern the matter;

2) In order to have the suit moved to MN, the clause should have read something akin to "This contract and any tort, breach of contract, negligence, and/or any other court action shall only be brought in the State of Minnesota and no other jurisdiction."

This is called a "forum-selecting clause" and often is honored. The Bremen v. Zapata Off-Shore Co., 407 US 1 - Supreme Court 1972 (forum selecting clauses while not historically favored ... are "prima facie valid).

But since here, the clause simply states that the LAWS GOVERNING the contract are from MN, but does not necessarily state that only MN shall have jurisdiction, then it is unlikely that this would be enough to transfer this to MN.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)