Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a question. How do I prove if I am being scramed out

I have a question. How do I prove if I am being scramed out of money. A while back I took out some online loans. I am currently working with a company who is helping me elminate them. I have been recieving phone calls from a law firm that calls from a florida or Calif. Number tells me I have to pay them certain amounts in a cert tain time frame via western union. If not I would be arrested and brought to court for fraud and have to go to jail. Being scared I have paid them. However this week I didn't. I called the company that is helping me, they sais the things they have said can not happen and they are trying to get more money from me. I m scared I don't want to go to jail. I reported them to what else can do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this has happened.

First, you will not go to jail. This is the common scam. The key tipoffs are (1) insisting on immediate payment via Western Union and (2) telling you that you will go to jail if you don't pay. It's a violation of federal law to tell someone that they will go to jail for non-payment of a debt. A real debt collector could be sued for $1,000 each time they told someone that.

The most important thing is to stop sending them money. They will say anything to get more from you - don't listen. Second, they will likely call and offer to try to help get your money back, if you pay them a small upfront fee via Western Union. It's the same scam with a makeover. Do not fall for it. Contacting IC3 was the right thing to do. You can also report what happened to websites such as and That way, others will see what they did to you and know now to send them money.

If these companies are actually operating in CA and FL (unlikely, unfortunately), you can sue for a full refund, plus the $1,000 per violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So no one can come to my job for these reasons? They tell me nj is a no fraud state . The man that do have heavy accent s . I dont know if that means anything. And Its ok to just ignore them?

No, no one will come to your job and arrest you for not paying a debt. If you really owed a debt, they would have to go to court, file a lawsuit, get a summons, and serve you with it telling you about the suit. They could serve you with the summons at work, but that's just a piece of paper. That's not going in, dragging you out, and taking you to jail.

The reason these men have heavy accents is that most of them are located in foreign countries. They don't really know where you work, unless you told them, and are not going to show up at your job. You can just ignore them. It's a scam.

If you think you might owe a debt, you can view your credit report for free at That will tell you if you do owe money, and to whom, so if someone calls you again you'll be able to verify that they're not someone you owe.

"No fraud state" sounds like something they made up. I don't know what they're talking about. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies to every state. There has not been a state in the US where you can be jailed for not paying a debt for a couple hundred years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have all my infromation they told it to me when Icalled. I do have some debt just dont think its what they say. They told me if I didn't pay I would be dragged into court and my social would be black listed. They have called my job also.

The FDCPA prohibits them from calling your job if you tell them not to. The FDCPA allows you to send a letter, via certified mail, ordering them to stop calling you at all - and reminding them that you can sue for up to $1,000 each time they violate the act (which, at this point, is adding up). Legitimate debt collectors will give you an address if you ask for it. If you start talking to scam artists about suing them for $1000 for each time they've called you, they usually hang up (they may start talking more about jail - at that point, hang up on them). I don't think they'll give you an address, since it sounds very, very much like a scam, but here is a sample letter in case they do.

There's no such thing as blacklisting a SSN. If they sue and get a judgment against you, it will show on your credit until it's paid, but that's true for anyone. That's not any different than the damage that anyone else experiences from not paying debts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your time! I feel better now. I will be intouch if I need anymore help. Is there a way to contract you directly if needed?

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

You can always request me by putting "For Lucy" in the subject of the question. As soon as I'm online, I'll see it and can respond.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just had a thought they said that they were from I think they said stateinvestigation dept. And they applications against me and my social security number and when we go to court my job has to come with me? Any of that sound truthfully?

None of that is true. They're making it all up. There is no reason that your job would ever have to go to court with you if you were being sued for things that had nothing to do with your employment. They're just trying to scare you into paying them, and they'll say whatever they can to make that happen. It's all a lie.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

So my husband tried to speak with the people from the supposed law Anderson law firm. They still want him to wire them 610 $ or they are gling to take legal action. The same stuff I spoke of before. They will not give him an address or email address. Is the anyway to procute for illegal use of Ssn?