Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I was talked into installing a solar system by Sun Star Energy.

I was talked into installing a solar system by Sun Star Energy. I was told no money would come out of my pocket. They said there were three incentives, $1000.00 FP&L rebate, a second amount which was not explained that it would be an income tax credit, the third was told that it would be another reimbursement for saving on electricity. I had to pay out of my pocket in excess of of $6000.00. When I called the company to inquire about the third reimbursement, I was told that the saving on my light bill was the incentive. I have saved less than $100.00 in the year that the solar system was installed. I want to sue for the money I paid out of pocket. Please let me know if I can sue for this matter. I have e-mailed " HELP ME HOWARD" but have not received a response.
Addie Smith
Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Fax: (NNN) NNN-NNNN
E-mail [email protected]
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

You do have a valid cause of action here. You've basically been deceived. What you want to do is raise the stakes on them so that they know that not complying with your demands is going to cost them far more in the end than simply giving you your refund now. You should send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history (including all their representations) and demanding that they refund your money in total within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against them for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as a deceptive trade practice action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Typically, even if you have to file the suit, once filed, that's all that you will need do because typically companies will settle rather than risk the punitive damages and the deceptive trade practice judgment being on their record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that!