John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Can a deposition be done without first filing a civil laws

Can a deposition be done without first filing a civil lawsuit?
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

A deposition cannot legally be required of another person absent a lawsuit. Someone could agree to a deposition but they would not be required to appear absent an active lawsuit . Otherwise, there is no court authority to require his/her appearance and testimony.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.