Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
54899578

I had an electrician install an electrical panel to replace

I had an electrician install an electrical panel to replace an old and problematic panel. He quoted a price. The technician had no idea what he was doing and took hours to learn how to install the system andis now charging me over $1000 for the completed job. I was willing to compromise however he is not. How should I proceed? Thanks a lot
Expert:  Joseph replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Did you have a contract with the electrician or did he guarantee that the price wouldn't be above a certain amount?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no contract, my bad, he quoted between $ 800 to $1200. For the project. He is now demanding $2100

Expert:  Joseph replied 11 months ago.

Assuming that you don't want to hand over the price that is now being given to you for the full job that is about twice what the estimate is, you can decide to refuse to pay for the additional amount or attempt to compromise.

If the contractor elects to try to take you to small claims court over this, you could obtain other estimates from electricians (as well as using his own estimate) to show that he is significantly overcharging you for the job and that he is not entitled to (at least the majority of) the additional money that he is claiming.

Small claims court judges will often try to reach compromises, so you sill may be required to pay some of the additional money (a few hundred) but definitely not the entire thing, if you get estimates demonstrating that the cost should't have been much above the estimate price.

In the future, I'd definitely suggest that you get a contract in writing before going ahead with these projections to ensure another electrician or other doesn't try to take advantage of you and overcharge in a similar manner.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Definitely contact me if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work. It is necessary for you to rate my answer even though you’ve made a deposit or are a subscriber. I only receive compensation for my work if you rate me positively. Otherwise, I receive nothing for assisting you, and the website retains your entire deposit.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I sent a check for what I thought we had agreed upon. He refuses to cash the check as we had marked it paid in full. He now wants $2200 and denies he agreed to the $1750.00. Even if I did up my offer I feel this is like extortion and I'll get an even bigger bill. Do I have any protection from dept of consumer affairs? As a contractor doesn't he have some liability under CT. law regarding home improvements. Can he put a lien against my house WITHOUT going to court?. I will appear in court to fight that action. After this I will leave you alone and give you an outstanding rating. Thanks Mark

Expert:  Joseph replied 11 months ago.
Hello Marc,

Yes, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Protection department of the State Attorney General here:

http://www.ct.gov/dcp/cwp/view.asp?a=1629&Q=274424

He could potentially put a lien on the house without getting a judgment first, but you can have the invalid lien removed (if it is invalid for the amount he is charging) and in doing so you can have him pay for the attorney's fees that may be involved in getting the lien removed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry but at what point would I have the opportunity to challenge "if it is invalid for the amount he is charging" and should I stop the check?

Expert:  Joseph replied 11 months ago.
When (if) you receive notice that a lien has been filed, you can go to court to challenge it and have the lien removed.

If the contractor is not indicating that he will deposit the check, then you should put a stop payment on it. He should definitely be willing to accept that amount, however, and honestly, it seems strange/silly that he'd want to go through all the additional effort of filing a lien or filing suit against you for the additional $350.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much! I am very impressed by your service and the website. Again thank you for your patience and assistance and have a great day! Mark