How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an electrician install an electrical panel to replace

This answer was rated:

I had an electrician install an electrical panel to replace an old and problematic panel. He quoted a price. The technician had no idea what he was doing and took hours to learn how to install the system andis now charging me over $1000 for the completed job. I was willing to compromise however he is not. How should I proceed? Thanks a lot
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Did you have a contract with the electrician or did he guarantee that the price wouldn't be above a certain amount?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no contract, my bad, he quoted between $ 800 to $1200. For the project. He is now demanding $2100


Assuming that you don't want to hand over the price that is now being given to you for the full job that is about twice what the estimate is, you can decide to refuse to pay for the additional amount or attempt to compromise.

If the contractor elects to try to take you to small claims court over this, you could obtain other estimates from electricians (as well as using his own estimate) to show that he is significantly overcharging you for the job and that he is not entitled to (at least the majority of) the additional money that he is claiming.

Small claims court judges will often try to reach compromises, so you sill may be required to pay some of the additional money (a few hundred) but definitely not the entire thing, if you get estimates demonstrating that the cost should't have been much above the estimate price.

In the future, I'd definitely suggest that you get a contract in writing before going ahead with these projections to ensure another electrician or other doesn't try to take advantage of you and overcharge in a similar manner.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Definitely contact me if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work. It is necessary for you to rate my answer even though you’ve made a deposit or are a subscriber. I only receive compensation for my work if you rate me positively. Otherwise, I receive nothing for assisting you, and the website retains your entire deposit.

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I sent a check for what I thought we had agreed upon. He refuses to cash the check as we had marked it paid in full. He now wants $2200 and denies he agreed to the $1750.00. Even if I did up my offer I feel this is like extortion and I'll get an even bigger bill. Do I have any protection from dept of consumer affairs? As a contractor doesn't he have some liability under CT. law regarding home improvements. Can he put a lien against my house WITHOUT going to court?. I will appear in court to fight that action. After this I will leave you alone and give you an outstanding rating. Thanks Mark

Hello Marc,

Yes, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Protection department of the State Attorney General here:

He could potentially put a lien on the house without getting a judgment first, but you can have the invalid lien removed (if it is invalid for the amount he is charging) and in doing so you can have him pay for the attorney's fees that may be involved in getting the lien removed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry but at what point would I have the opportunity to challenge "if it is invalid for the amount he is charging" and should I stop the check?

When (if) you receive notice that a lien has been filed, you can go to court to challenge it and have the lien removed.

If the contractor is not indicating that he will deposit the check, then you should put a stop payment on it. He should definitely be willing to accept that amount, however, and honestly, it seems strange/silly that he'd want to go through all the additional effort of filing a lien or filing suit against you for the additional $350.
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Joseph and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much! I am very impressed by your service and the website. Again thank you for your patience and assistance and have a great day! Mark

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.