Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

if I collect ssdi and my children receive the benefits as well

Customer Question

if I collect ssdi and my children receive the benefits as well through me, what affect will stocks, or annuities have on my ssdi. If my wife received a settlement from a car accident will this affect my ssdi.
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX am a New York licensed attorney and I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Stocks, annuities and your wife's settlement will not affect your SSDI.

SSDI benefits are not need-based. SSDI benefits are paid because you have worked long enough to be qualified under the Social Security guidelines before you became disabled and unable to work. SSDI is not dependent upon your financial condition

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. If we were to invest some of the settlement money, and earned a profit from the investment, would that then affect my ssdi.

Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.

No it would not affect your SSDI. Your SSDI will only be affected by income that is earned through your efforts at gainful employment.
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tony.

I am checking to see if you have any follow up questions for me regarding the answer I provided to you. Sometimes the site is a little buggy and I do not always receive replies or ratings (which is how we get paid from the deposit you left with the site for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Thank you,
FiveStarLaw