How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina , Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently under investigation at a state correctional

This answer was rated:

I am currently under investigation at a state correctional institution where I am employed. I believe that 2 people that were my roommates while deployed alleged that I was having correspondence with an inmate at the facility that I work at. My one roommate is a Captain at the same institution that I am at. The other roommate was the mail clerk for the squadron that we were attached to. I am in jeopardy of loosing my job because of these malicious allegations. The investigating officer at the jail produced copies of letters and a photograph and claims that I received them from an inmate. Which I never did receive any letters or photographs. This is against policy. I have a hearing on Friday to determine if I still have a job. I guess the question that I need answered is how do I prove that they set me up and can I sue them for slander and mail tampering?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

What evidence have the individuals produced which they suggest proves you received letters and photos from an inmate?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They showed me copies of letters and a photograph and a copy of a letter addressed to me...but I never received them.


I see. If the individuals are making false statements about you, either written or verbal, which they should know are false and which causes injury to your reputation, you can pursue a claim against them for defamation typically.

Mail tampering may involve a federal crime, so you could report that to the local FBI offices, but to recover compensation for damages you have suffered, a civil suit for defamation would normally be appropriate.

It would be best to retain a local employment law attorney who can appear at the hearing on your behalf on Friday since they could make your best case for reinstatement or avoiding termination typically. After consulting with you, the attorney may also decide to communicate a demand to the individuals who are making the false statements about you in an effort to get them to retract their statements and apologize in order to avoid litigation if possible.

Here is a link which sets out the elements to prove defamation for your reference:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!


Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Tina and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot afford an attorney at the present time. How do I defend myself against this malicious lie?

Hello again,

Without an attorney, it may be difficult I'm afraid. You would typically need to review the allegations that they have made which are false and then produce evidence to refute their allegations, such as witness testimony, your testimony, and documentary evidence.

Without the threat of litigation against these individuals though, it is unlikely they will retract their statement, so if there is any way to retain a local attorney, it would typically be well worth the money.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your time and the information. I appreciate it. Have a good day!

You are very welcome and I hope things turn around for you soon.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.