Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a question about a consumer Protection counsel in Pa

I have a question about a consumer Protection counsel in Pa that we have binded a contract with helping to reduce our credit cards and wants a monthy payment and wants a money order up front is this legal?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Does the contract state that you would be paying them a certain amount of money and is this what they are asking?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes 261.33 which will be toward payments of credit cards and legal fees.

Friend,

Thank you. So in essence they are asking what is under the contract, but you wish to know if this verbiage in the contract is lawful to begin with - correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes.

Thank you.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

The answer is yes, this is lawful. It is not unlawful for debt consolidation companies to charge you for their services under NY law. If this is what one signed, then one is liable for it.

The only way that one would not be liable is if:

1) They tricked you in some way;
2) They do not hold up their end of the bargain (then one can demand a refund); or
3) The clause is unconscionable or against public policy. Sablosky v. Gordon Co., 73 NY 2d 133 - NY: Court of Appeals 1989. However, this would be neither.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Thank you for your gratuity.