Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We provide software and services to school districts. The

We provide software and services to school districts. The software tracks student's progress in an ABA (applied behavior analysis) program for children on the autism spectrum. Our application access is a simple user name and password. We are a for-profit company. Are we considered a covered entity?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are selling the software to an entity covered by privacy laws, then you must protect your access in accordance with the privacy laws, this is no different than a non-healthcare business doing work for a covered healthcare provider/insurer, they must comply with the rules governing the covered entity as an agent to the covered entity. Thus, you need to protect the data access under the FERPA privacy rules, but as you nor the school are healthcare providers or healthcare insurers HIPAA does not make the school a covered entity so it would not be under HIPAA rules. Here is an article on FERPA computer security for information purposes.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.