Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have been trying to ask questions but have run into difficulties.

I have been trying to ask questions but have run into difficulties. These started when I apparently erred in providing my credit card number; I used blanks and it seems the site did not accept these. In seeking to resolve the matter, I may have caused a charge of $24 to my account. I presume this will be cancelled. Anyway my original questions follow. Thanks for your efforts.

I have questions regarding a “status conference” in a bankruptcy setting.

Background

Late 2008, I filed a defamation/misrepresentation complaint against a newspaper; I am representing myself and the lawsuit seeks a substantial sum. Soon after I filed the complaint, the parent company of the newspaper, and so the newspaper, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. My case was automatically stayed. During 2009, I filed a “proof of claim” based on the complaint. The parent company objected to the claim. During July 2012, the dispute was heard in a US bankruptcy court for the district of Delaware. The court has yet to rule on the dispute. However, yesterday I received notice of a “status conference” to be held on October 8, 2013. Not knowing what a status conference was, in preparation for the conference, I searched the Internet for information. My findings weren’t all that helpful. So I am turning to you for information that might help me prepare for the status conference.

Questions/Requests

What is a “status conference?”

What is the format of a “status conference?”

Would I be expected to take an active role in such a conference? That is, would I be expected to make any statements; answer any questions; or ask questions of others? And if so, what would be their nature?

If there is anything that I should know that I didn’t cover with my questions I would greatly appreciate your letting me know.

Conclusion

Thank you for your help. If you need any more information from me just let me know.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

At Status Conference is an informal meeting with the parties and the judge for the judge to determine what issues still need to be heard by the court and for the judge to determine if there is any possibility of the matter settling without the judge ruling on the case.

Each separate judge holds their status conferences a bit differently based on their preference. Some will want a brief submitted before the conference and others will not, so it is up to the judge and you need to contact your specific judge's clerk to see what their judge wants for the status conference. Some judges will even send the parties out to see if they can negotiate a resolution.

The judge is going to ask about the issues in the case and you are going to have to explain them so you have to be prepared to defend the issues in your case to the judge and why your case should proceed. He might also ask about the brief facts of your case and nature of the defamation so be prepared to give him the condensed version but hitting all of the important parts of how it harmed you.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.