How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29082
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What the law in the State of Maryland say about wheelchair

This answer was rated:

What the law in the State of Maryland say about wheelchair Handicap accessibility to public restrooms such as threshold plates and heavy doors.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A public accommodation built after 1991 must be accessible to persons with disabilities. That means that if a public restroom is provided, it must be wheelchair accessible. Buildings that were built prior to 1991 are not required to make existing restrooms accessible. However, if they remodel, then the bathrooms would also have to be remodeled and would have to be made accessible.

For structures existing prior to 1991, owners are expected to periodically make reviews to determine what changes could be made, and those changes should be made if they are feasible, considering the time and expense involved as well as the owner's resources. So, for example, if I own a building built in the 1950s with a huge parking lot, I can probably afford to repaint it to provide a couple of handicapped spaces. To determine what is feasible, it may be necessary to have an expert do an analysis of the property. If the issue is needing a lighter door or a ramp in one entrance, or even widening one entrance to a restroom, that is something that would be considered reasonable for many public businesses.

The ADA allows a successful plaintiff to recover attorney's fees. So one option is to contact a local attorney who works on these cases and knows an expert that can examine the premises. If the expert determines that the building was built or remodeled after 1991, or that the owner otherwise has an obligation to bring the restrooms into compliance, your lawyer can try to negotiate with the building owner on your behalf. If necessary, he will sue the owner to cover his fees, because the ADA allows this.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions