Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My friend asked that I help him file a SSDI claim as he has

My friend asked that I help him file a SSDI claim as he has mental and physical disabilities. I filed it online, but had not gone over it with him to ensure accuracy. He has retained an attorney to represent him. Today we went into the SSA office to file for his early retirement benefits as he's 62 (the attorney knows this and said ok). The woman we saw refused to allow an application for early retirement until the SSDI application was completed right on the spot. We both told her we wanted to complete that later, that he had a lawyer. She asked , "Who?" We told her the name and she said "I don't know them. We usually deal with local firms. Most people don't get lawyers." We repeated our request 3 more times. I had commented on the SSDI application about my friend's cognitive deficit and anxiety, and I asked if she had seen it, hoping she would understand the reason for doing things on his terms. She had. It didn't matter. When she said "Based on what he's said here, he's denied" we no longer tried to tell her his application was incomplete. It probably never occurred to her that what he was telling her was inaccurate. What happened?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

What happened there is you ran into a disgruntled and lazy government employee who did not feel like doing their job (big surprise, isn't it?). What she said in the office is insignificant if you filed online and the application was never completed. You need to notify the attorney immediately about what happened and they will take up that issue with the supervisor once they get the benefits approved and the attorney will get the filing complete. Many of these workers overstep their bounds in the SSA and what the clerk taking in cases or applications tells someone is generally not what really happens because the woman you spoke to has nothing to do with approving or denying applications, she takes in information, that is all.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.