Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I would like to know if I would be allowed to leagally open

I would like to know if I would be allowed to leagally open an Opticianry practice in Oh. Currently I have one in Pa. For going on 10 years. Pa does not reuire an Optician to have a license to practice, but Oh does. I have my ofice in Pa with an LLC. I want to expand into Oh. Thanks!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If Ohio requires a license to practice, you unfortunately would have to follow the procedures to open a practice in Ohio. There is no procedure that would require Ohio to issue a license to someone that had been practicing in a state that doesn't require one, or to allow a person to practice without a license. Before applying for a license, it is necessary to pass an exam. The exams are given twice per year. You can get more information on the state's website.

Then, you are required to complete an apprenticeship. The state unfortunately will not accept all of the hours that you put in working in PA. Here is more information.

You could expand the LLC into Ohio by partnering with a licensed optician, and may even be able to complete an apprenticeship through that person to eventually work on your own in Ohio. But you unfortunately cannot expand your PA business into OH until you have someone who is licensed to work as an optician in OH.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.