Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I am trying to obtain legal guidance to see if it legal for

Customer Question

I am trying to obtain legal guidance to see if it legal for the federal govt not to provide a 30 day notice if an employee is to be furloughed. Please see OPM website for government shutdown. I currently work for the federal govt but did not receive a notice of being furloughed until day of the shutdown. There were memo that went out of a possible shutdown possibility but nothing stating I would be furloughed.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing and providing you information in this regard

I am sorry to hear that you have been affected by this Government Shutdown. And I am not sure why you would believe that employees have to be given any Notice of the furloughs. The Government is like any other employer in that unless you have an employment contract with a start date and an end date you can be laid off, furloughed, terminated "at will"

Any furlough, termination, lay off, etc cannot be based on discrimination, however.

And in this case, it is not.

If you have an employment contract with a start date and an end date then you could have a breach of contract if there is nothing in the contract that provides for any type of lay off or furlough.

If you have no contract, unfortunately, you would have no recourse against this shutdown and/or lack of Notice.

I am sorry this is happening to you and the 800,000 other employees. I am hopeful that it will be short lived.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

I see you rated Poor Service.

Please tell me what other information you need as the information I have thus provided is true and correct.

So if you need clarification, please let me know

Thank you