Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I have been divorced for 6 years and my x just informed me

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 6 years and my x just informed me thT my name is XXXXX XXXXX tital and wants me to sign a affidavit stating he paid me for my part of the home the people he is working with to modify his loan say he still owes me. He says if I don't sign and he defaults they. An come after me. Is this true?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Just to be clear, you are on title AND on the loan, or just on title of this home? I ask, as my answer to you would differ based on your response. Pleae advise!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just on tital. I am not on his loan

Thank you for your follow-up.

In that case what he told you is absolutely not true. If you are not on title, you are not liable for the debt. As a consequence creditors would have no legal basis to pursue you--you would only be someone with an interest in the property, but you would not be someone who would be liable for the underlying debt. There is no obligation for you to sign here.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your follow-up, Wanetta.

In your other thread you posted:
According to the people modifying his loan he still owes me money from the divorce. How can I find out if this is true?
------------------
That you can find out by reviewing your initial divorce settlement agreement. If something there was not provided to you, you can demand it, and if your ex refuses to comply, it would give you a valid basis to file a petition for contempt of court order at the courthouse that initially granted your divorce settlement agreement.

Hope that helps.