TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law

Hello there, I have just rented out a town home to a tenant

Hello there,

I have just rented out a town home to a tenant under good faith and with a 1 year contract. The tenant has given me the deposit and paid the first month as described in the contract that we both signed.The property is located in Florida, Pinellas County in the city of Largo.
However, on the second day of the moving in the tenant has been disturbing the neighbors by using illicit drugs. I am afraid that this behavior will not stop and I have the desire to evict her ASAP but I do not know which way to go about it with the most minimum legal damage.
Please help
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

You should review the lease for language which states that the tenant shall not engage in any illegal activity on the premises. You can then send the tenant a notice of violation of the lease. However, you'll need evidence of the violation. You'll also need to give the tenant a reasonable warning (i.e., written notice) not to do it again before you start eviction proceedings. Judges are reluctant to evict tenants who have not been given time to correct the problem.

If the tenant persists after the warning, and if you have evidence (e.g., witness testimony), then you can begin the eviction process. You can visit the local court clerk for the required forms. This is one area of law that can often be handled successfully by non-attorneys. Landlords frequently represent themselves in court.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To TJ, Esq." in the subject line of your question.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law