Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My driving licence was on probation and during that time I

Customer Question

My driving licence was on probation and during that time I got reckess driving 20+ What will my penalty be?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

This is very much based on the state where you obtained the citation. Could you tell me that location so I can look up that law for you? Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

VA

Thank you for your follow-up.

In Virginia Reckless Driving is categorized as a Class I Misdemeanor. You can be potentially exposed to up to $2,500 in fines, plus up to 6 points on your license, license suspension outright (something that is quite likely here since you were already driving on a license that is on probation), and also a significant risk of up to 1 year in jail. The record of this offense will also stay on your VA driving record for up to 11 years.

In this situation, if at all possible, retaining counsel would be most wise. An attorney may help you avoid jail time, since that is a potential risk if you were pulled over while on probation.

Here are the laws that would govern:

46.2-862. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule - Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.