Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Does a martial arts school have to be a certified child care

Does a martial arts school have to be a certified child care center to operate an after school martial arts program?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The Code of Maryland Administrative Regulations 13A.16.02, in pertinent part states:

(b) "Child care" does not mean:
(i) Group lessons or classes providing specialized training in a specific subject, unless provided in a pattern indicating that a child care center is being operated;
(ii) Scouting, sports, or youth club activities

Thus, if you are conducting sports training after school it is not considered "child care" and thus licensing would not be required.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify. We do have a couple of parents drop off their school age child to us in the morning due to their work schedules. After about 40 minutes we take them to school. Some of the kids may bring something to eat. In the afternoon, we pick kids up from school and they come to the gym and do about 40 minutes, if that of homework. then prepare and participate in a 50 - 60 minute martial arts class. Parents then pick up their child from the gym. One of our sister martial arts school had to go to court because the local child center program responsible for approving child care centers tried to suggest they were operating as a child care center. It was proven that martial art schools are exempt and they were not. We are a martial arts school and our program is centered around students training in martial arts, thought we help them with homework. What is the law?

Now on the other hand, we are slowing taking measures to become a martial arts child care center so that school age kids whose parents are on assistance, can afford to take advantage of our program which is designed to build confidence, improve focus, develop self-defense skills, and build leadership. We are looking at renovations we need to make, certification for staff etc. Hopefully by next summer we can be certified. I just want to make sure we are okay providing a specialized martial arts training program without having to be a child care center. Thanks

Thank you for your response.

The morning care, without any training is pushing you into the daycare facility and away from the martial arts business and would require you to have the daycare license.

The evening care even though they have time to do their homework as long as the majority of the time or at least 1/2 of the time is spent in the training of marital arts you would be okay, but doing the morning care is going to qualify you based on the above law I already gave you as a daycare needing a license (the pattern indicating a child care facility is being operated part of the law).