CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I recently moved from Stuttgart, Germany to Colorado Springs,

I recently moved from Stuttgart, Germany to Colorado Springs, Colorado. I used an American company for door-to-door service to ship my household goods. They made all the arrangements for packing, overland transport and shipping in both Germany and the US. During transport a large hole was poked in the shipping container, which held my things, which allowed water in. We were lucky in that much of our things were undamaged. My issue is that while insurance will pay for the things on which value can be placed it won’t pay for the lost memories and the sentimental value of things. It also won’t pay for our stress or time spent carefully washing and drying the things we saved.
I believe the “door to door” company had a responsibility to ensure my things were well cared for. I believe a hole being poked into my shipping container during handling is negligent. The company has offered to reduce the $20,000+ price by a couple of hundred as a “gesture of good will”. Do I have some recourse here?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

The moving company is responsible for the damage due to their negligence (while it is understandable they may not wish to concede this at this point). This includes the actual cost of replacement for the objects, the cost of cleaning or repairing, and any incidential costs associated with these. Unfortunately, it does not include compensation for sentimental value to your belongings.

Customer:

Hello

William B. Esq. :

Good afternoon.

Customer:

So, there's nothing we can do for the "trouble" they caused through their negligence?

William B. Esq. :

You can recover for things such as the reasonable cost of locating and purchasing a replacement, etc. But unfortunately, there is no legal compensation for the pure sentimental value of something. (The difference is one of an objective vs. subjective pricing on the objects).

Customer:

I understand, thanks.