How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question

Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4270
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cousin is in college and my mother paid for his plane ticket

Resolved Question:

My cousin is in college and my mother paid for his plane ticket to school. His mother's boyfriend used his mother's email in trying to attempt to get reimbursed for the plane ticket that my mother bought from my cousin's financial aid office. I approached my aunt's boyfriend through facebook and he has threatened my family with physical harm. Can I do anything about this other than a restraining order?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 2 years ago.


What state do you live in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

California. San Francisco Area

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

You can also file a police report because what he did fits the definition of a crime in California:

422. (a) Any person who willfully threatens to commit a crime which
will result in death or great bodily injury to another person, with
the specific intent that the statement, made verbally, in writing, or
by means of an electronic communication device, is to be taken as a
threat, even if there is no intent of actually carrying it out,
which, on its face and under the circumstances in which it is made,
is so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific as to
convey to the person threatened, a gravity of purpose and an
immediate prospect of execution of the threat, and thereby causes
that person reasonably to be in sustained fear for his or her own
safety or for his or her immediate family's safety, shall be punished
by imprisonment in the county jail not to exceed one year, or by
imprisonment in the state prison.
(b) For purposes of this section, "immediate family" means any
spouse, whether by marriage or not, parent, child, any person related
by consanguinity or affinity within the second degree, or any other
person who regularly resides in the household, or who, within the
prior six months, regularly resided in the household.
(c) "Electronic communication device" includes, but is not limited
to, telephones, cellular telephones, computers, video recorders, fax
machines, or pagers. "Electronic communication" has the same meaning
as the term defined in Subsection 12 of Section 2510 of Title 18 of
the United States Code.

The police then may decide to charge the individual. I would suggest if you decide to take that route to print out a copy of the Facebook message to show the police so they can decide how to proceed.

Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4270
Experience: 10 years legal experience
Hammer O'Justice and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response, I am aware of this issue, but the real issue I am trying to get to is if i can link this threat he has made to the original issue concerning my cousin, who is being denied financial aid and has a bill of $27,000 rather than $0.00 if his mother and boyfriend were to provide their financial documents to the office. To try to measure the severity of his relationship with his mother and her boyfriend, my cousin has lived with me since age 4, he is 18 now, under the support of my mother, but his mother claims him as a dependent when she has never provided any financial support to my cousin eversince abandonment. He has considered emancipation but is 18 now. As a person that has the ability to put my foot in the door with this "facebook threat" can I link this issue to that in a legal matter?

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, it would be difficult because one doesn't really have anything to do with the other. If his mother is claiming him as a dependent and he does not meet the definition of a dependent, then that is something that can be reported to the IRS.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.