Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Is it possible to recommend a family lawyer who will help get

Is it possible to recommend a family lawyer who will help get me ready for court? I am a grandmother.. main witness in child custody dispute. My sons lawyer keeps saying she will contact me to help on witness stand. the court is in allegheny county and should be january 2014. I would like to talk to someone from westmoreland county to help me.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You can get a local family law attorney to work with you at the same sites used by other attorneys, or, as our site forbids us from making personal referrals.

However, the problem is that these attorneys are not familiar with the specific facts of your case so it is going to be difficult for them to do much more than we can here in providing you general information to help you with testifying.

It is your son's attorney's legal obligation and duty to prepare your son's witnesses. The preparation of witnesses is not done generally until a week or two before the trial, it is not done months before the hearing, so the fact you have not heard much from your son's attorney at this point is not unusual if the hearing is not until sometime in January 2014.

If you have some specific questions about your testimony and how you should prepare, we can work with you to provide you general information on that if you use the "reply to expert" button, but ultimately it will be your son's attorney who will have the duty of fully preparing you a week or two before the hearing as to what specifically she wants you to address in the hearing during your testimony.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for the information. Should I assume there are no general questions I can be prepared to answer? From your reply, it sounds like the questions asked would be for our particular case.. is this correct?

Thank you for your response.

All questions in these matters generally focus on the specific facts of each case. There are some general questions that will ask you about your identity and your background and how much contact you have not only with the child but the amount of time you spend observing your son with the child and even about time you spent observing the mother with the child. The remainder of the questions will focus on your son's parenting ability, the relationship between your son and the child and even the mother's parenting skills if you know about them from first hand experience.

The key to answering any of these questions is that you need to try to frame your answers as to what is the best for the child only, not what is best for your son, you or the mother. The attorney will design the questions to you though that are specific to the situation being argued before the court to address the issues the court is deciding on.