Have Legal Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.
Hello TJ, Are you aware of a form the Small Claims clerk has which he/she stamps?This form is then taken to the Post Office to obtain the defendants address. I need an address to serve papers.
Hello again! I tried the address service request method. This did not work as the post office only forwards mail for a certain time period(18 months).I did not save the info from a Google search, but it read there is a form the court has that they stamp then the plaintiff takes it to the Post Office to obtain an address.
Information is not available to the public without a subpoena. The form i was speaking of comes from the Small Claims Court at the time of filing. It is a court form taken to the Post Office.
Hello, i looked up the info you gave me. The above was a post from this site i found while researching the information. I will try this form.Thanks again!
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORM:
Change of Address or Boxholder Request Format — Process Servers
City, State, ZIP Code
REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR BOXHOLDER INFORMATIONNEEDED FOR SERVICE OF LEGAL PROCESS
Please furnish the new address or the name and street address (if a boxholder) for the following:
Note: Only one request may be made per completed form. The name and last known address are required for change of address information. The name, if known, and Post Office box address are required for boxholder information.
The following information is provided in accordance with 39 CFR 265.6(d)(5)(ii). There is no fee for providing boxholder or change of address information.
1. Capacity of requester (e.g., process server, attorney, party representing self):___________________________
2. Statute or regulation that empowers me to serve process (not required when requester is an attorney or a party acting pro se - except a corporation acting pro se must cite statute): _____________________________________________________________________________
3. The names of all known parties to the litigation:______________________________________
4. The court in which the case has been or will be heard:________________________________
5. The docket or other identifying number (a or b must be completed):
____ a. Docket or other identifying number: ________________________
____ b. Docket or other identifying number has not been issued.
6. The capacity in which this individual is to be served (e.g., defendant or witness): _________________________
THE SUBMISSION OF FALSE INFORMATION TO OBTAIN AND USE CHANGE OF ADDRESS INFORMATION OR BOXHOLDER INFORMATION FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN THE SERVICE OF LEGAL PROCESS IN CONNECTION WITH ACTUAL OR PROSPECTIVE LITIGATION COULD RESULT IN CRIMINAL PENALTIESINCLUDING A FINE OF UP TO $10,000 OR IMPRISONMENT OF NOT MORE THAN 5 YEARS, OR BOTH (TITLE 18 U.S.C. SECTION 1001).
I certify that the above information is true and that the address information is needed and will be used solely for service of legal process in conjunction with actual or prospective litigation.
Printed Name City, State, ZIP Code
POST OFFICE USE ONLY
_________No change of address order on file. NEW ADDRESS OR BOXHOLDER’S NAME POSTMARK
_________Moved, left no forwarding address. AND STREET ADDRESS
_________No such address. __________________________________________________
Is this a legal method to serve papers in Michigan courts? RPost Registered Email