Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I had a friend that died in this past year . He owned and lived

I had a friend that died in this past year . He owned and lived on 17 acers of land for many many years , 4 acers of that land was in his name and the other 13 acers was in his step childrens names. All these years the step children have never tried to claim the land or even pay any taxes on the land. My friend paid the taxes on the land for over 7 years or longer. When he die he left everything to his long time girlfriend and now she is selling the land to me. I want to know how do I get the other 13 acers of land put over in my name. Do I have to pay the taxes for the next 7 years and then have it put into my name? Can I get it in my name faster so I can build on the land? What can I do? I live in Fayette county WV . HELP !!!

Generally, one cannot obtain title to property merely by paying the taxes. If the owner doesn't pay the taxes, then the property will be sold at public auction by the county and anyone can bid on it. If you want to own the 13 acres without buying it at public auction, then you have to buy it from the step-children who hold the title. If they have no interest in owning it, perhaps they would be willing to give you a Quitclaim Deed for little, or even no money.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.