Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Can gerrymandering be done in a way that makes it unconstitutional? Are

Can gerrymandering be done in a way that makes it unconstitutional?

Are there federal guidelines or laws that regulate gerrymandering or is oversight at the individual state level?

Thanks!

Don

Gerrymandering, which I will presume you mean based on partisan issues, not racial has not been declared unconstitutional per se. Here is an excellent summary of the current issue: http://www.propublica.org/article/is-partisan-gerrymandering-unconstitutional The answer to your basic question is "Yes". Gerrymandering could be done in such a way to make it unconstitutional; however, the US Supreme Court has not taken the cases on in which clear guidelines or standards are set out. Here is a detailed summary of cases dealing with the history and cases on the subject. http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/departments/scr/redist/red2000/ch5parti.htm

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.