Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

If a child support case is closed can the arrears still be

If a child support case is closed can the arrears still be collected if the case is reopened?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the arrears were not paid based on a valid support order, then even if the case is closed those arrears are still due and you can collect those by filing a Motion for Order to Show Cause for Contempt of Court and get the court to hold the person in contempt and order garnishment of assets or seizure of property. They can also suspend the person's drivers license and revoke their passport.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you