LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

we are attending a deposition without a lawyer...can we record

we are attending a deposition without a lawyer...can we record or do we need official permission?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. At the deposition, there will be a court reporter. The reporter records/documents the deposition and then transcribes it to a document, which you can obtain a copy of. This is how there is a record of what was said and how the parties can recollect what is being stated, down the road and if needed, at trial.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but the records are $1000. per and there will be 6. We can not afford....that's why we are pro se (for now)

A copy of the transcript should not cost that much. The party who set the deposition and hired the reporter, who will need to get the original, may have to pay that but your copy should be less. Of course, if there are extensive records and lengthy depositions, it may cost that much but if you just want a copy of your deposition, it should be less. You can not just bring in a recorder to record it yourself and there would be no legal effect to it either.