Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Ok in 2000 my ex wife and I at the time lived in Mississippi

Ok in 2000 my ex wife and I at the time lived in Mississippi together, we had an altercation which we both were charged with a domestic simple assault. No jail time just classes and both misdemeanors. Now over 13 years later we both remarried. I haven't had any other interactions with the authorities of any kind and live in Oregon.And wonder will I be able to own a fire arm for my home protection
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, under the federal law, any person ever convicted of any crime of domestic violence is permanently banned from possession or ownership of any firearms and the only way to get this firearm ban removed is for you to file a petition for a full governor's pardon in Mississippi where you were convicted of this crime of domestic violence and if a full pardon granted, then your firearms rights will be restored.

I wish you the best of luck!