Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

How can an outside Pastor be stopped legally from coming into

How can an outside Pastor be stopped legally from coming into a Baptist Church that is without a Pastor from sowing discord among the believers by holding meetings with some of the members? He has been sent a certified letter by the leadership of the church (Chairman of the Deacon's Ministry) not to come to the church and meet with the members.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

You can't stop him from meeting with members of the church but you can stop him from coming to the church by hiring a lawyer and applying to the court for an injunction.

Dwayne B. :

Essentially an injunction is an order of the court prohibiting someone from committing a specific act.

Customer:

I live in Mobile, AL . What grounds could we ask the lawyer to file for an injunction on?

Dwayne B. :

The church, through the governing body, should have the right to exclude someone whose conduct is not appropriate.

Dwayne B. :

That would be the grounds.

Customer:

Our church does not have a Constitution or Bylaws; a committee is working on that now, before a new pastor is called. This particular outside Pastor told the members that they could throw out the leadership and get new leaders and that is what they call themselves doing at a meeting last Sunday.

Dwayne B. :

Is the church a member of another organization like the Southern Baptists, etc.?

Customer:

Church is a member of National Baptist Convention of USA, Inc.; Alabama Baptist Association and locally Old Landmark Baptist Association. This particular Pastor is the President of the Alabama Baptist Association and locally the Sunlight Distrist Association. He was not asked by the leadership for help in guiding our church but by a few disgruntled members.

Dwayne B. :

The rules of those organizations may provide some grounds for your request as well. However, what you need to do is go and visit a local lawyer who does civil litigation and get them involved so they can evaluate all of the facts and rules.

Dwayne B. :

A court order is the only way to achieve what you want to achieve.

Customer:

Thank You!

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome.

Dwayne B. :

Best wishes to you and your church on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.