Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

Hi. I recently bought a dog from petzone in queensbury ny.

Hi. I recently bought a dog from petzone in queensbury ny. I used my Debit card. The manager was unsure it would work but tried it for several minutes. Finally she said it was approved and I took the dog. Usually I need to enter my pin for my card to work. Fast forward 4 weeks later, the lady calls me and sounds angry and says my card was declined and I need to come in today (I live 4 hours away) and pay another way. My phones dies and I lose the call. I charged it and notice she left me a angry voicemail saying they still own the dog and can track me by its microchip. I was scared and didn't know what to do so I quickly changed my number because threatened. She called the cops and tried to charge me for grand larceny (dog was $1390.94.) I was so stressed out by their accusation of me stealing the dog which I tried to pay for. My bank stopped payment since I did not put in my pin. I basically was threatened by the cops, saying he would come arrest me. It was the stores mistake.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I am sorry to hear that you have run into this problem with the purchase.
.
Have you actually paid for the dog yet?
.
If not, why not?
.
What is your legal question that I can help with this afternoon?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I figured it takes a while for the store to withdraw the money from my account. Like when I authorize a payment from it, sometimes it's usually not that day. The lady said it was approved, I signed a slip. I got a receipt. So she calls and accuses me of stealing. It is all her mistake. She doesn't even send me a bill in the mail or anything. She demands the money that day, mind you I live 4 hours from the store. So she calls the cops who calls me and says we will arrest me. I never once said I wouldn't pay. I had the money in my account to pay it. She gave me until 3:30 pm the next day to pay by money gram. I paid $115 in transfer fees. I was scared for my freedom. I was stressed. It was her fault and not mine. I offered to return the dog, since that's what she said on the phone. She said no returns, my mom tried to pay with her credit card, they refused saying she didn't trust her. I paid it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I sue the petzone? I was ripped off by $115 mind you that's nothing but still unfair. They treated me like a criminal when it was there mistake. I was emotionally stressed. I cried all day. I did everything to pay for the dog. It was her fault for taking my card and leading me to believe it would be charged.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, at this point if you have paid for the dog then there really isn't an issue now. While this might not have been handled the best by the vendor, they didn't do anything illegal by taking the action they did. For all they knew, you were trying to scam them and get a free dog.
.
"I was scared and didn't know what to do so I quickly changed my number because threatened." It does seem a bit odd that the first thing you would do is change your phone number...But they had no idea that the card was having problems due to your bank's error. So from a purely legal perspective, it is your bank's mistake if there was some problem in approving the transaction.
.
So if anyone is to be held liable for your $115 costs, it would be the bank for first approving the transaction and then disapproving it..
.

Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs