How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 115461
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was adopted and recently found out I have a genetic mutation,

This answer was rated:

I was adopted and recently found out I have a genetic mutation, I have a court order that says that Catholic Charities of Greensburg, PA is to contact my natural parents regarding same in accordance with provisions of 23 Pa. C.S.A. 2933 and in accordance with standards of the Department of Public Welfare and pursuant to the provisions of Section 2926 of the Adoption Act. What right or access does that really give me? And how do I enforce it?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The court order mandates that they have to provide you the information they have found as a result of the search of the records, which would include the information on your birth parents if they found that information. Anything they discovered in their court ordered search for the information has to be turned over to you pursuant to the statute. If they do not respond in 120 days you need to file a Motion for an Order to Show Cause for Contempt and as part of that you would ask the court to force them to cooperate and search for and provide the information and explain why they have failed to do so in compliance with the order of the court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I file the Motion for an Order to Show Cause for Contempt? I live in California now and am trying to do this all by phone or mail. The last time I spoke with the Director of Adoption at Catholic Charities she said "oh I am sure they don't live at the same address anymore so there's no use". I had cancer already, I carry this gene from my biological family, I have 3 children and 9 biological grandchildren. I need to get detailed medical history to determine our risks.


Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear you are in CA, because filing the motion for contempt will need to be done locally in PA and that means you will need to get you a family law attorney in PA to file the motion against them and force Catholic Charities to investigate (which means checking other court records, birth records, employment records and everything specified in the PA statute) and provide you those results.
Law Educator, Esq. and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you