Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

i was high bid in a auto auction on Ebay, as this was the second

i was high bid in a auto auction on Ebay, as this was the second in one day, is there a legal way to withdraw my commitment to purchase?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Unfortunately, no. Not if you made the bid yourself as opposed to a minor getting on the computer and making a bid.

Dwayne B. :

The eBay rules specifically state bids that win are considered contracts.

Dwayne B. :

Many people mistakenly believe that any contract can be rescinded within 72 hours but that is an incorrect belief and based on some old law that allows people to get out of door to door sale type contracts.

Customer:

i just wanted to make sure. i was told of a cooling off period in vehicle and real estate contracts, but i didnt know if it would apply

Dwayne B. :

No, there are some states that have specific rules on specific topics but there are none in Texas that apply to this situation.

Customer:

well.... thank you. do you want to buy a 1991 Mercedes 560 SEL ?

Dwayne B. :

No, I like those cars a lot but we just bought a new one a few months ago (not a Mercedes) and have kids in college.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i hope this qualifies as follow up: what legal procedures are required when cars are bought in(NY,Ca)states and imported to Texas? (taxes,inspections)

Sure, we'll call it a follow up.

If you are a Texas resident you are supposed to reregister the car in Texas within 30 days. You are also supposed to have it inspected prior to registration. When you register the car will be when you pay the tax on it.