Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I run a pool league, similar to a bowling league. Teams pay

I run a pool league, similar to a bowling league. Teams pay weekly dues and the winners of 1st-4th are paid out at the end of 4 months (= to 1 session). My rulebook states payout checks are cut on week 4 in the following session. The team that won last session is playing this session and has not paid any weekly dues for the 1st 4 weeks. Can I hold their prize checks until they are current? (All other teams that are current and players that are not playing this session have been paid.)

Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 10 months ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER,

I have a couple of question.

(1) The team that won - did they pay all their dues for the session that they won.

(2) And does the rulebook state anything about the weekly dues being applicable to each session.

Thomas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

1. They were late, but paid.

2. It states they are due in full by Saturday of each week or their team will lose 1 pt. (from their total winning points. Is this what your looking for?

But in general would you say that the dues are per session, and that they paid for the last session (in which they won). And the issue now is that they have not paid for a new session.

Thomas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes

Then I think that it would be a problem if you did not pay them their prize winnings. If they paid all their dues for the session that they won, they I think they are legitimately entitled to those prize winnings as they met all the conditions for that session. If they have not paid for the current session you can deny them from further competition in the current session or any other sanction which your rule book provides. But withholding the prize until they are current for the new session would not be legitimate. You can wait to pay them until week 4 in the following session, but not until they are current in the new session.

Thomas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

If I pay this team out, then update my rulebook to state that all team must be current on all league fees and dues at the time of payouts, would I be covered for the future?

Yes absolutely.

Thomas
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience: Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.