Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I was divorced in Missouri. The divorce decree awarded my

I was divorced in Missouri. The divorce decree awarded my ex-wife maintenance until I retire. What constitutes the term "retire"? Can I take my social security now and work full or part time without paying her the maintenance any longer?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Generally to 'retire' means to stop employment and pursue rightful benefits from Social Security and/or from your employer (if there is a pension plan that vested). Once you are in the phase when you begin receiving payouts and no longer work, you are considered 'retired'. If you are eligible for retirement now (you are 62 or older), you can retire and then petition the court to stop maintenance as per the conditions of your decree.

Good luck.