Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

In North Austin Texas can an 88 yr old lady that just had a

In North Austin Texas can an 88 yr old lady that just had a stroke, spent 3 weeks in rehab, needs to move closer to family in South Austin break her apartment lease? The management company said no or pay $1500 to $2500 and then yes.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Legally in Texas, there is not statutory provision to allow an elderly sick resident the right to breach a lease, the only provision for willful breach in Texas is domestic violence. Thus, any agreement to allow a tenant to breach a lease without penalty is purely at the discretion of the landlord (management company in this case) and if the landlord is willing here and is now saying yes, get this in writing so they cannot coma back at you later and seek damages from her for the breach of the lease. Of course, for breach, even if they do allow her out without paying money, they can keep the security deposit legally based on the breach of the lease, so negotiate that with them as well.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.