Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My brother in England says he made maintenance payment to my

My brother in England says he made maintenance payment to my ex wife 40 years ago.my wife and I had no kids.Do I have to pay him for this unsolicited help.What is statute of limitations in this case?
Hi,My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.A person never has to repay a gift, and a person cannot be held to a loan without his knowledge. If you did not ask your brother to make payments to your ex-wife and were unaware of the payments, you have no legal obligation to repay him. That is because he can't hold you to an agreement that was never made.Every state in the US has a different statute of limitations for breach of contract - the longest anywhere is about 15 years. There is no state where a person can collect a 40 year old debt.If you have any questions or concerns, please reply without rating so I may address them. My goal is to ensure that you are 100% satisfied.