How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 114728
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

iam a handicap person andi own a boat but i can not get on

This answer was rated:

iam a handicap person andi own a boat but i can not get on the area lakes because there isn't any docks or marinas that are handicap acessable.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

What is your specific question for us? Are you talking about public boat launches?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What kind of information

Thank you for your reply.

If you would read the whole response to you I would appreciate it. Are you talking about public boat launches not being handicapped accessible?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes sir. there is no docks or marina's that are handicapped accessible. I have pictures of these from are area lakes.

Thank you for your response and clarifications.

I know you stated you have contacted the Corp of Engineers, have you also contacted the State Attorney General and the US Department of Justice regarding non-compliance with the ADA?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No sir I have not.

Thank you for your response.

The Attorney General and US Department of Justice are empowered to enforce all ADA Accessibility issues. Under the ADA all public boat launches must have handicapped accessibility. Thus, without using an attorney, your recourse is to first file complaints with both the Attorney General and also the US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division. Send them copies of your pictures and your complaint that these are public ramps and do not provide ADA accommodations as required by law. They will take action against the ramp owners in most cases and get the problem resolved.

If the DOJ and Attorney General cannot take action for you or do not move fast enough for you, then your only remaining recourse is to file a civil rights suit against the owners of the ramps for violations of the ADA in failure to provide handicapped accessibility as required by law and thus violating your civil rights.

These are your legal options to get the accessibility you are entitled to.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions