Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Hi there Just a little review. Friend/neighbor offered to

Hi there
Just a little review. Friend/neighbor offered to display my lawn tractor at his place as it is near the main road. Refused to display my sign with contact info and asking price. Wanted to take tractor back. He lost his temper and to get back at me he chained the tractor to a tree in his backyard and will not release it until I pay him $60 for a power wash he did that I knew nothing about. Called police. After they spoke to this guy, police returned to me and handed me a piece of white copy paper to me stating that he would not release the mower until I pay him $60 for a power wash that I never knew he did. Want to take hiim to court. How long does he have to hold the mower? What happens if I go beyond his deadline whatever that may be. Saw the tractor last night hooked up to that leaf vacuum. The tractor looked like it had been used. Being kept outside exposed to all the elements. It had most definitely been used.
Thank you for your new question.

He can hold the mower until you sue him and get a court order to make him return the mower. You would sue for "replevin" for the return of the property and also "conversion" for him using the tractor as his own. If he is using it you can sue for use of the tractor as well as the order to return the tractor.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Who would put the monetary value on his use of it? What I'm afraid of is that he will sell it. I also don't think I should take it back as he works on lawn tractors/mowers for a living and he can tamper with something that will make it break down after I take it back. The engine had blown up twice before, the 1st repair being highly questionable, the 2nd repair you can just "feel" the difference. No one would be the wiser if it broke down again.

He could also say "what tractor?" or "that's the way it was when I got it". I've been sneaking up to his place and taking pics.

How would I get him to pay? He's broke. On SS Disability.

I'm also going after him for shooting my cat - twice. This time the vet bill came up to $1900. First time was $700.

These 2 incidents happend within 2 weeks of each other. Walks around in public with a gun strapped to his hip. He's licensed to carry open. He was shooting off his property. Houses too close. Road to close.

Thank you for your response.

You would put a use value on it, which is likely about $25 per day on average.

If he has done any damage to it, he would be liable to pay for the damage. As far as you taking it back, you must take it back or get him to pay the cost of the tractor and if he has no money then you can get the court to order the sheriff to seize property he owns to cover the value of the tractor and for the cost of your cat.

Unfortunately, this is all you can do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He won't do anything unless the law is standing over his shoulder.

Thanks for you answers. I'm sure I'll be contacting you soon.

Thank you for your response.

This is why you have to take him to court and sue him as we have discussed. You will get a judgment and then you can get the sheriff to enforce the judgment against him.

Please do not forget to leave excellent service feedback.