Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My 83 year old mother is currently in a rehab center in Florida

My 83 year old mother is currently in a rehab center in Florida recovering from a badly broken hip. She has lived in Florida for the last 20 years. She will have to go into long-term care to complete the rehab and is likely to always have mobility issues. Because she is of limited means, we have almost completed the application for Medicaid in Florida (it is extremely likely she will qualify). However, when she is able to be moved in 4 - 6 weeks, I, her daughter, want to to bring her to a nursing home/assisted living facility close to me in Pennsylvania (my mother spent her first sixty years living in Pennsylvania). My question is: will we have to reapply for Medicaid in Pennsylvania?

RayAnswers :

Hi and welcome to JA.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you this evening.

RayAnswers :

My sympathy here for your situation and dilemma.

RayAnswers :

Each state has its own medicaid program here the requirements are similar.

RayAnswers :

If she qualifies in Florida she likely qualifies in PA.But she will have to start over i n PA and reapply.There may be a gap in coverage.

RayAnswers :

If you could transfer even if it is by ambulance prior to applying it would be better or easier for you.

RayAnswers :

You can try and stabilize her here in Florida and then reapply and relocate.But she would have to be physically in PA to apply there.Again the requirements are similar but each state has its own application and rules here.

RayAnswers :

Your best be if you have to put her in one in Florida would be to look for ones near you in PA and talk to them about reapplying and a bed.Each home usually has a local ME worker.

Customer:

I'm not entirely sure that I understand your fifth statement. Do you mean that I should have her transfered

RayAnswers :

Well if she is on medicare here for rehab and you could bring her to PA and apply and place her there it saves having to relocate her/That can be traumatic to have to change homes.

RayAnswers :

But you would need to do some homework here to find a facility near you in PA.

RayAnswers :

The office of the Ombudsman can help you here in PA to locate a place and make application.

RayAnswers :

They work with families to locate and place elderly folks into a nearby setting.

RayAnswers :

Usually in Florida here of she is in a medicare bed once medicare is used up they transfer to medicaid--the actual bed is dually licensed for both.The medicare pays better so they try and use that up first.

RayAnswers :

Florida has an ombudsman too as well.

Customer:

to PA by ambulance to an identified nursing home in PA near me and then apply for Medicaid because she must be in state in order to apply? And do we cover the expenses out of pocket before the application is approved? Is transport by ambulance important/significant?

RayAnswers :

And yes there is going to be some out of pocket here.No if she can stand the ride of flight she can go by regular transport.I know thats a long trip.

RayAnswers :

And yes I would use the PA ombudsman to locate a couple of places nearby in PA.Check them out first.Once you know where you want to go and if they have beds then you can apply for medicaid here.Each home has an ME worker assigned to it.The same kinds of financial information here in PA you were required to show in Florida here.

RayAnswers :

PA application for you here.

RayAnswers :

Some more self help.

Customer:

Yes, have been working with Medicaid Done Right in Florida. And She does get several days in the facility paid for by Medicare (there is a co-pay) for five days and from there to a larger co-pay (the Medicaid co-pay ?) for the next 80 days.

RayAnswers :

Well if you need some time here and they can get her on medicaid in Florida it would give you some time to look.I know its hard when you are in Florida with her and the nursing homes are in PA.A friend or relative can visit them and help scout them out.

RayAnswers :

The financial requirements are very similar.

RayAnswers :

So if she qualifies in Florida she likely does so in PA.

RayAnswers :

I know that all of this can be abit overwhelming.The PA ombudsman can be a big help.They have one in each area of PA and if you know what are you are looking at they will give you a name for the one in that city for those homes.

RayAnswers :

They usually have great knowledge of that are and the facilities in that area as well as medicaid.

RayAnswers :

The feds require each state to have ombudsman.Also they can deal with any care issues you have as well.

RayAnswers :

Medicaid eligibility is usually retroactive to a date so they may cover some of the period where she is private pay but there is likely to be at least a couple of weeks private pay.

RayAnswers :

If you have more questions let me know its not a problem.

Customer:

I do have copies of all the data that Florida required for the application, but the Medicaid Done Right company completed the application. But at least all of the data is available. And I will use all the websites you've provided to locate an ombudsman and a facility, though I have had at least two recommended to me by friends that are right in the town where I live. You have been helpful in setting a direction to follow. I'll be returning to FL to help complete a divorce proceeding for her (another nasty, but inevitable wrinkle, and secure durable power of attorney. Is the latter transferrable to PA?

RayAnswers :

If the divorce was filed in Florida it will likely have to be completed there.It may be completed by a Florida lawyer and she may not need to attend court.

RayAnswers :

Here are free PA general POA forms might want her to sign one of these for PA too.Each state has different requirements..

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you good luck here with all.Thanks again.

RayAnswers :

If you can leave a positive rating it is always appreciated.

Customer:

The divorce will not be contested; should be quick, though never easy. Thank you for pointing me in all the right directions. Appreciate your help.

RayAnswers :

No problem thanks again.