Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Gym membership that is month to month. The gym filed for Chapter

Gym membership that is month to month. The gym filed for Chapter 11 protection and a new ownership group took over. I cancelled my credit card and stopped going to the gym. The new gym ownership is now trying to collect a "debt" owed by me since i cancelled my CC and stopped using the facility. I have received two letters from financial service company working for the new owners of the gym. #1. Do I have to pay this debt? #2. Is it worth fighting them in small claims court? #3. Do they have legal ground to try to get money from me?

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you had a month to month contract with the gym and you did not cancel the contract in accordance with the terms of the membership contract you had, then they could make you liable for the debt for the time you did not properly cancel the contract by giving notice. Legally if you failed to abide by the cancelation terms in the contract they have grounds to pursue you and collect and win a judgment. As far as them pursuing in small claims, it depends on the amount of the debt due, but if they are in Chapter 11, they are more likely to pursue it than not because they must make all reasonable efforts to recover all debts to the company.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.