Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Are there any provisions in the Fair Housing Amendments that

Are there any provisions in the Fair Housing Amendments that allow persons under the age of 55 that have a disability to be allowed to purchase in a 55+ park if they are under 55? I have a gentleman about 44 that would like to live in a 55+ park since there are no kids and he is mentally disabled although he can work and live on his own. He does have a conservator but she only handles his affairs and money and does not live with him.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me.

The FHA does not govern these 55+ communities. The bylaws of the 55+ communities govern and they can be strictly age based regardless of disability without running afoul of the FHA or ADA I am afraid. There are no provisions in the CA law to allow exception in the 55+ community for him for his disability unless he moves into the home with someone who meets the age requirement and is his primary caregiver, which is the only exception that would allow him to move into the community.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.