Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have negotiated a debt with a collection agency for 20 %

I have negotiated a debt with a collection agency for 20 % of the debt in question, in a return email from the collection agency the agent I have been dealing with wrote;

"Thank you for your time on the phone today. This email is to confirm that ABC company has accepted your offer of settlement. Upon the receipt, and clearing, of $4,800.00 US Dollars, the credit report will be marked and settled in full, and vector will be appropriately updated as well. As discussed, the funds are due in our office no later than 9/27/13.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact me."

My question is; Is this email legally binding worded properly and considered legal as any contract and can I be confident in making full payment as directed and can I expect the terms to be fulfilled.
Thank you
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Is this email legally binding worded properly and considered legal as any contract

While this is not a "contract" per se, it is legally binding as it is a promise made by the company and can be used as evidence of the underlining agreement. So yes, this is legally binding.

and can I be confident in making full payment as directed and can I expect the terms to be fulfilled.
Thank you

While I cannot claim to speak for the collection agency, this again is legally binding and if they do not do as they promise in the email, one can attempt to sue them for not following through with the agreement.

However, to ensure that they cannot claim that the email was "faked," it is recommended that the above verbiage (or one similar to it) be received from the collection agency in writing via letter, so as to have definitive proof of it being authentic.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.