Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

This is a medical law question - I have a relative who lives

This is a medical law question - I have a relative who lives with me that is ill. Mobile blood draws are required. The other day the technician called the night before and we confirmed the 2 hr window of time they would visit. We had to leave unexpectedly. The technician left a door knocker (letting us know they were there) and my independence Blue Cross was billed. We live outside of Phila, PA. Can they bill for visiting?
Thank you ....

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Yes, they can bill for the visit although the insurance company may not pay for it.

Dwayne B. :

Many medical providers, doctor's offices included, are not billing for missed appointments.

Dwayne B. :

The reasoning is that they have to pay their staff, the expenses of going to the location, etc. and during that time period they could have been elsewhere providing services.

Dwayne B. :

I've only seen these go to court a few times but in all those instances the court upheld the right to charge based on a legal principle known as "quantum meruit".

Dwayne B. :

The only way that the answer would be different would be if you had a contract with the medical provider that prevented them from charging for this.

Dwayne B. :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it. I was just wondering.
Dwayne B. :

It's becoming much more commonplace.

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome.

Dwayne B. :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I get credit for my work.

Customer: Dwayne
Dwayne B. :

Yes. I'm, still here

Customer: can you please send the original answer again - I need to send it on. Thanks !!
Dwayne B. :

Dwayne B. :

If you need to print it, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will change formats to a Q and A session and you can then print it using your browser's print function.

Customer: And I think you meant to say drs offices ARE billing for missed appts ? Instead of NOT BILLING ...? Thanks
Dwayne B. :

Correct. My bad.

Customer: Ok (no problem)
Dwayne B. :

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer: Nope, not now & I will leave excellent feedback
Dwayne B. :

Thanks much and best wishes to you and your friend!