LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My vacation condo was forclosed and sold at auction. Can I

My vacation condo was forclosed and sold at auction. Can I retrieve my personal property? The bank changed locks immediatly and have not responde to any of my phone calls.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Prior to the foreclosure and sale, why did you not attempt to retrieve any of these belongings? Did you know about the foreclosure action? Was the property bought back by the lender?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Health problems and a broker was working out a short sale which I found out he never presented to bank. Yes it was bought back by the lender

Ken, thank you for the additional information. Since the home was sold and the lender is now the owner, the items which were left are likely going to be considered abandoned. As the sale/auction date approached, efforts should have been made to try and retrieve any items which you were concerned about. In a situation like this, the lender does not likely want to have to deal with removing the items and disposing of them, so if you can reach someone at the bank, you can likely speak with them about arranging the removal of them. Since it was bought back by the bank, you may want to try reaching out to their REO department, if you can not reach anyone who was handling the loan itself, at the time. Moreover, the property is going to be turned over to a Realtor to sell, so you may want to try and find out who they are using an try to contact them. The lender may be inclined to send you notice, to your current address, about the items, so you want to make sure they have a current address on file, so they know how to reach you. At this point, since you are no longer the legal owner, you do not have any rights to access the property without their permission. As such, you need to try and see if they would allow someone to open the home and remove the items, since they changed the locks.