LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My son missed his jury duty date simply because he did not

My son missed his jury duty date simply because he did not know about it. He is now being summonsed to court for having missed. We live in Florida, does he need legal council for this.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Do you know where the notice for jury duty was sent? How did he find out and receive the current summons but did not know about his jury duty?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We had been on Vacation for several weeks and the notice was in a large stack of mail that I did not open until the day of his jury attendance at 4PM he was to report that morning at 8AM. He is 18 living at home and never, I repeat never looks through the mail. We received the current summons in the mail but as we have not been on vacation we found the current summons right away.

Thank you for the additional information. Your son certainly does need to appear. When he does, he will need to explain to the Judge the reason that he failed to appear for jury duty. When he does appear, he should really try and bring evidence with him, to show the dates he was out of town and how the notice arrived the day he returned and was in a stack of mail, which you go through. He should explain to the Judge his living situation and that he was unaware when he went on vacation, that during the time he would be summoned. Moreover, that his failure to appear was intentional. As long as he can show good cause and explain the situation to the Judge, there should be no reason to retain legal counsel, since the mistake is excusable.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"Moreover, that his failure to appear was intentional" do you mean unintentional he would have went had he known?

Sam, Yes, that is correct. It was a typo. Sorry about that.