Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My fiance and I lived together for 6 years. One day she up

My fiance and I lived together for 6 years. One day she up and left without reason taking only a few items of clothing and her toothbrush. She immediately started slandering me accusing me of horric acts of abuse and theft. As much as I tried I could not get her to speak to me by phone email or text. After discovering all of these and finding out the numerous lies she told me during our relationship I knew it was over. I have tried for a solid month to get her to remove her belongs from our rental duplex. I have even gone as far as to pack up two small truckloads of her belongings and drop them off at the house where she is currently staying. She has refused to pay her share of the bills and rent so at the end of the month I had our landlord remove her from our month to month lease. I finally had a chance to speak with her when I dropped off the last load of items I thought she would want. i told her she needed to speak with me to arrange removing the rest of her belongings to which she would only reply "I can't talk about this right now." I told her this was her last opportunity because i was ready to move on and if she didn't talk to me about this I was going to take the rest of her belongings to the dump. She replied "I don't care." My question is this: What responsibility do I really have as far as her belongings go? Can I legally throw all of her belongings away? Do I have to give her a certain time limit to remove them? Is there a limitation of long I have to be in charge of her belongings before they are considered abandonned? Thanks. Bruce Dallas,TX
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello Bruce

My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

I am sorry you are experiencing this matter.

Please tell me

1 - How long ago did she move out?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

1 month and three days ago

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Thank you

So recently

Here is what I suggest you do

You write her a letter and you state that she has 30 days from the date of the letter to come and retrive her belongings. State that you will then dispose of them as you deem appropriate and that any costs associated with that disposal will be invoiced to her.

Now you do not have to charge her for the expense, if any - but you can put that if you want to and you can try to collect via a small claims lawsuit if you want/

Or you can sell her things at a yard sale after the 30 days has lasped

The letter must be mailed certified with a return receipt requested so you can see when she go the letter and start your 30 days from that date

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the advice. Just one more quick question then I will give you a rave review. I am sure she will wait until the last possible minute to arrange to get her belongings if she wants them at all. If she decides she wants her belongings I am sure she will want everything that was purchased during our relationship whether she paid for it or not. If neither one of us has reciepts for items in question, who has legal right to ownership? In other words how are he said/she said disputes resolved with no proof of ownership?

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Well, then it would have to be settled in court.

Therefore, I suggest that you itemize a list of her belongings in the letter.

Those will be the things she can collect.

If she wants others she will have to sue you

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.