Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I had a document that needed to be sent to the school. I completed

I had a document that needed to be sent to the school. I completed it and signed it and sent it. The school then changed the information that I put and wrote in what they wanted and sent it back to me signed and excuted as they called it. I do not agree with the changes that they made to my information. 1. Is it against the law to change a document after someone has already signed it. If so what law did it break? How can I correct this with the changes they?
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

Please tell me

1 - what was the document?

2 - what was changed?

3 - Was there a letter noting changes had been made and requesting you initial the changes?

4 - How do you know the changes were made

5 - How do the changes affect you?

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It was an "Annual Notification of Homeschool" form.

They changed the current grade of my child from 12th to 10th

There was no letter noting the change and no request for me to initial any thing.

I clearly saw where she crossed out the 12th grade that I had written and wrote in 10th.

The changes would lead anyone to believe that my child is in 10th grade instead of 12th.

FYI. I took him out of school the start of 10th grade year and home-schooled him for 2 years. We completed 10th grade and 11th grade.

He is now being homeschooled for the 12th grade. It is the parent who signs off weather or not the child completes school not the homeschool department. In the state of Maryland I am only required to show the Homeschool department Continuous homeschooling. They do not even check to see if it is on grade level work that they are doing. So they have no right to decide what grade my child is being homeschooled for.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Ok

Thank you

Well, it should not have been changed without your approval or a discussion or some type or evaluation process.

And so while it could be deemed as some sort of criminal fraud or forgery, I suggest that you will want to contact the department and discuss the problem and that it was changed without notification to you.

I suggest that it could have been inadvertent ???

And so for it to be fraud you need to first establish that it was a deliberate intent to defraud someone about something

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What happens if they refuse to change it back? Is there a law or something that says they can not do this? (unilateral modification of a contract)

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

There would be no "law" It is based on "Policy:" of the Homeschooling programs

And so you need to read and familiarize yourself wtih that.

And if they have not followed policy, then you will need to bring this to the attention of the State Board of Education and, hopefully, it will be resolved without you have to bring any court action in the way of a civil lawsuit.

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.