Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I am a victim of an online cash loan gotten through the internet

Customer Question

I am a victim of an online cash loan gotten through the internet that I applied to on 9.11.13. Three places called me and approved the loans via phone calls. I received the loans on 9.12.13 directly into my checking account (Loan By Phone, California 130911 2794082090678 for $255.00; Cash Central loans $255.00; Money Messiash $350.00 and VIPLoan Shio $500.00. On 9/19/13 XXXXX XXXXX XXX-XXX-XXXX called me at work and demanded I pay her $300.00 immediately by Western Union or a Greendot Money Pak otherwise she'd have me arrested she said the needed repayment of a loan and said she was from US Cash?? She said she would fax and/or email me the paperwork as soon as she received the payment. I got a $300.00 Greendot Money Pak and called her with the 14-digit numbers. I called her several times after this and she was always busy or in a meeting and has never emailed me any documents or called me back. Then on 9.21.13 a XXXXX XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN7583 called me and said a lawsuit was filed against me and demanded I pay him $875.99 immediately otherwise they would come and arrest me at my job immediately. He said he was from Speed Loans? and was connected to a Don Gibson, Greenberg Law Firm in Dallas, TX. He repeated called me about 13 other times, and demanded a 2nd payment of $786.95 because his legal dept wouldn't accept only the 1st payment. I also paid him this amount via another Greendot money pak even though my bank said not to pay them anything. My bank put a fraud alert/identity theft on my bank account, I filled a report with the Oakland Police #13-909955 aned an IC3 report #I1309201949161472 and will also file Identity Theft/fraud to the credit reporting agencies, the BBB and FTC. I need help immediately. They never faxed or emailed me any documentation of any of these transactions. I rent and have alot of credit cards and high balances but try to pay the minimum dues but have sometimes had late payments and am looking into debt consolidation to help me with this. Please advise me what I can do to help me with this online scam. They have all my personal information from the online applications and from the phone calls. Thank you. Jean Fujikawa,XXX@XXXXXX.XXX, XXX-XXX-XXXX (w); XXX-XXX-XXXX (cell).
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you in any way that I can,

I am trying to follow what your posted, but the following appears to me,

1. Did you sign any promissory notes for these loans ?

2. Do you have copies o any of their paperwork ?

3. The people to whom you were sending this money are not the same people with whom you applied for the loans initially , Why is that ?

4. Did any lawyer threaten to have you arrested if you did not pay ?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I requested copies of the paperwork but they haven't given me anything not even I paid them the money. None of the people who called me would give me any information about who they were, what company they were from, the person wasn't the lawyer but said he was requested by the mentioned lawyer to collect a debt from an online small cash loan made on 9.11.13 that I recd on 9.12.13. Both of these people threatened to have me arrested if I didn't pay both of them the amounts they requested. They were both from different places (I think). The 2nd person on Friday demanded even a 2nd payment from me after I paid him the first amount of $875.99. He never called me back after receipt of the 2nd payment nor did he send me any paperwork. His threats were terrible and very scary. Thank you.

You are very fortunate that your bank thought that something looked suspicious and did something about it.

You have taken almost all the steps which I would have suggested that you take, such as filing a report with IC3, the Attorney General, the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. I would suggest a couple more steps and then you will have towait until either the Attorney General gets back to you, or the FTC or the police.

In the meantime, since they have all your personal information, you should take the following additional steps,

1. Contact all your credit card companies, ask to speak to the "Fraud Department" (Not the "Dispute Department), and tell them that you believe that you are the victim of identity theft because scammers managed to get hold of all your personal information. Ask them to cancel all your credit cards and issue you new credit cards with a different account number. You should do this immediately;

2. Immediately write to the three major credit bureaus - Trans Union, Experian, and Equifax. Inform them that you are the victim of scammers and identity theft so that they will be watching for anyone trying to open a credit card account using your name and sending inquiries to the credit bureaus;

3. Determine which of the people who contacted you were attorneys, or worked for a law firm and report them to their State's Attorney Disciplinary Board. For example, you said that someone from a Texas law firm contacted you, report them to the Texas Attorney Disciplinary Board since they were part of the scam. If they threatened to have you arrested, report that also to the Attorney Disciplinary Board. You cannot be arrested for failing to pay a debt. Debtors' Prison was abolished about 300 years ago, and it is illegal to threaten a debtor with arrest or with criminal action if they do not pay a debt,

Be sure to follow up with telephone calls to the Attorney General's Office, the FTC, the police, the Sheriff, and any other agency to which you reported all these individuals who scammed you out of your money, and ask for the status of their investigation of these people. You have to take a proactive approach and if you keep calling them, they will work harder on your case and getting your money back for you and prosecuting these individuals,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Dear Jean, Thank you for the Excellent Service rating and the generous Bonus, I appreciate both greatly, If you have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question, like this,

"For Andrea .......... "

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA