John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I was working for a company based in Arizona and was not paid

I was working for a company based in Arizona and was not paid for the last week I worked. The owner of the company said I was incompetent and did not know what I was doing. I told him I was sent to do a job that I had no experience at and his company knew that. I worked 69 hours the final week and also have expenses for tools and equipent needed for the job totaling over $1000 that I was told I would be reimbursed for. My pay rate was $26/hour so the total owed me is around $4000. What are my options?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I’m sorry to hear about your employment matter.

You have two options in this case, as the wage is owed regardless of the employer's ultimate satisfaction with the work. One is to file a lawsuit on your own against the employer for the lost wage and expenses. This costs you money out of pocket to pursue because you have to usually hire an attorney and pay court costs to file.

The other option most people use in this scenario is to file a wage claim with the State. These are free of cost, and the State does not charge you anything to investigate and resolve the matter either through a voluntary settlement with the employer or a hearing. If you wish you can find the relevant forms and filing information for a wage claim here.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to the Arizona Labor Board website and found out I can only file for regular time lost. I could not file for overtime or expenses incurred on the form. Is this correct? I would like to file with the labor board since Arizona is so far away and it would be expensive for me to pursue thru the court system.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Craig, no that is not correct, in fact you can see on the wage complaint form there are sections to fill out if you are demanding hourly rate of pay (which includes overtime) and mileage or other expenses.
John, Attorney
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.