LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was shopping around for a tree cutting company for a $3000

I was shopping around for a tree cutting company for a $3000 job. With one company I signed (didn't read the fine print), and then found another company that was cheaper and signed with them. When I signed with the cheaper bid I did read the fine print and i noticed that they required 100% payment if cancelled. When I pulled out the first bid's document to cancel they required a 20% penalty if cancelled. I now owe the first company $600. I am I really required by law to pay the first company $600 for doing nothing?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. This could be an issue and a situation where you do owe them the money. First, the contract was signed and agreed to by you. If you signed it, there is a presumption and an argument to make, that you were placed on notice of the terms and conditions, along with the potential penalties. The tree cutting company could make the argument and it may be true, that once you signed the contract and they agree to do the work, they turned away other jobs at the same time and date and/or they hired workers or incurred costs, in reliance on the contract and their obligation to perform the job. As a consumer, it is important to perform your due diligence and shop prices, to find the best rate. If you did not give them a deposit and they are not holding your money, you can certainly try and settle with them, if you want, for a lesser amount. There is no way of knowing if they would actual invest the time, effort and money in suing you for the breach but you can make them an offer for an amount less then $600, to settle this and walk away.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!